The 28th annual Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival is back on the water in celebration of the region’s 50th anniversary.
The festival’s new location will be at Crazy Horse Campground, a 45-acre property large enough to handle on-site parking while also providing ticket holders a view of the water. Scheduled for Saturday, September 24th and Sunday, September 25th, the new location was announced as part of a series of special events designed to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smith Mountain Lake reaching “full pond” status in March of 1966.
Event-goers have been begging for the event to return lakeside, but finding a location able to handle the ever-growing number of attendants and their vehicles has been an ongoing problem. However, the availability of Crazy Horse Campground answered the public’s requests for a lakefront location while speaking to the logistical needs required to host an event of this magnitude.
If you’re planning on visiting this year’s event, check out the list below to make sure that you’re prepared:
- The SML Wine Festival Is a Rain or Shine Event. If you attended last year’s wine festival, then you know that the show will go on regardless of weather. The new location hopes to provide better accommodations for rain-soaked grounds, but pack a poncho and some rain boots just in case.
- Tickets Can Be Purchased Online. You can buy your tickets online at VisitSmithMountainLake.com. You can also purchase them at a number of participating Kroger locations, the Smith Mountain Lake Visitors Center, the Bedford Welcome Center, and at Bridgewater Plaza.
- Tickets Cost More The Day Of The Event. If you wait until the day of the Wine Festival to buy your ticket, expect to pay $10 more. From now until midnight on September 23rd, Taster tickets are $25 and Non-Taster tickets are $15. Children under 12 are free.
- You Can Rent Your Own Private Chalet. If you’re looking for a private area to enjoy the wine festival, then consider renting a private chalet. You can choose from three different sizes, each one including banquet tables, cocktail tables, signage, and a private fenced in area.
- There’s also a VIP Lounge. If you want to enjoy all of the spoils of the wine festival in a relaxed, casual atmosphere, then purchase a VIP ticket. Not only will you enjoy complementary catered dining with a selection of wines and beverages, but you have exclusive access to private, air-conditioned, deluxe restroom facilities.
- There Are Some Restrictions. We’ve already mentioned that the event is rain or shine, but attendees should also be aware that no refunds are given and you must have you ticket to enter. Also on the list of things you should keep at home: pets, outside alcohol, coolers, and personal tents.
The Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival features 29 Virginia wineries. Visitors will also have their fill of food from a variety of vendors. Live music will be featured on both days.
The Wine Festival is an ideal time to see all that the Smith Mountain Lake area has to offer. If you’re planning on attending the event and are interested in viewing available rental properties in and around the region, I welcome the opportunity to show you the best that Smith Mountain Lake has to offer. As a resident REALTOR™, I have expert knowledge on the lake and its surroundings. You can view available properties online at www.VacationRentalsSmithMountainLake.com.