When you’re looking for your next relaxing break, add some fresh mountain air and a serene lake in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Smith Mountain Lake has all you hope for and more to make your next respite as rejuvenating and full of fun as you like. There are several activities near Mariner’s Landing to keep you busy throughout your stay, and you may even need to make another trip to do it all! Ask about pet-friendly units so your furriest family members can have some mountain relaxation with you.
Activities Near Mariner’s Landing
- While your putter probably didn’t make the packing list all by itself, you’ll enjoy using one – and a fun colorful ball – to putt your way through any and all of the mini golf courses in the Smith Mountain Lake area. There’s Harbortown Mini-Golf – built right on top of the boat docks for a stunning view of the lake from Bridgewater Plaza, or Hot Shots Family Fun Center on Route 122 featuring mini golf as well as a place to get some yummy food like burgers, chili dogs, and more, or go on a safari at Westlake Safari Miniature Golf off Route 616.
Smith Mountain Lake Dam
- Smith Mountain Lake is a reservoir created by the Smith Mountain Lake Dam. If it’s your first time here, make sure to stop by the visitor’s center at the dam to learn more about it, including seeing how electricity is generated. There are also several hands-on exhibits about the dam and how it works. Once you’ve learned a little more about the history, head back to your accommodations, get your swimsuit on, and enjoy the water.
Guided Fishing Excursion
- While you may have rented your own vessel for the duration of your stay, there’s nothing like sitting back and relaxing while someone else does the driving. Smith Mountain Lake fishing experts will take you on a guided excursion of the lake. They’ll take you to some of the best fishing spots around the lake. The lake his home to striped bass and many other species that you can catch and grill up for a delicious lunch or dinner at your rental. Don’t forget to ask about obtaining a Virginia state fishing license before casting a line anywhere.
Feed the Fish at Bridgewater Plaza
- Bridgewater Plaza has shops, dining, and plenty of activities to keep you busy. You’ll want to make sure you have everything you need for a day of shopping, mini golf, and fun, and don’t forget the popcorn! The carp at the plaza – which measure 24” to 36” in length will be waiting to pluck the popcorn right from your fingers, so you’ll want to bring your camera to capture that moment when the fish nibbles at your fingers.
Blue Ridge Parkway
- If you’re looking for a scenic drive that has plenty to do outside the car too, pile into the rental vehicle and hit the road. The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the most scenic drives in the area. Make sure to bring your camera for plenty of breathtaking photos, and pack the gear you’ll need for hiking, biking, picnicking, and exploring the trails and peaks. There are orchards to tour where you can purchase or pick your own fresh fruits. There are still more activities and attractions along the way.
- Once you’ve seen the breathtaking scenery of Smith Mountain Lake and the surrounding area from the ground, take to the skies for a bird’s eye view. Explore the wild blue yonder on an introductory flight with Smith Mountain Lake Aviation. Your flight will depart from a small airport in Bedford County and last approximately 40 minutes. Make sure to bring your camera for the stunning views of mountain, lake, dam, and surrounding area. There is no age restriction, but the flight is best suited for older children and adults. Peer out the windows and play a game of “I Spy” to find colors, shapes, and even the rooftop or activity spaces around your rental.
Enjoy Activities Close to Mariner’s Landing
- You came to Smith Mountain Lake for some much-needed rest and relaxation and chose Mariner’s Landing for your ultimate spot for some Virginia lakeside escapes with a little fun and excitement thrown in the mix. Before you plan all of your great adventures and activities, make sure to book a vacation rental with Premier Vacation Rentals Smith Mountain Lake. From a cozy two-bedroom home for a small family or sweetheart getaway to a four-bedroom home for a larger family or group, there’s a vacation home that will meet your needs and style. Enjoy meals prepared in the fully equipped kitchen. Spread out into an open living area, or retreat to a private bedroom. No matter what you’re looking for, there’s a vacation rental that’s perfect for you.
- Call us today to start planning your getaway!